The World & Me
The World & Me Youth Poetry Contest
We received more than 100 submissions from public schools across the District of Columbia for our World & Me Youth Poetry Contes in 2011. We were blown away by the talent and diversity of the entries.
Students tackled an expanse of pertinent and pressing issues: immigration, sexism, racism, HIV/AIDS, gentrification, domestic abuse, and pollution/global warming, and many others. They wrote of hope, determination, the power we all have to make a difference. They wrote confidently and fearlessly.
We are happy to announce the winners in the two age categories (12 and under, 13 and up):
12 & Under:
- 1st: Akilae Snorden, age 11, Harriet Tubman Elementary School
- 2nd: Dev Bhojwani, age 11, Washington Latin Public Charter School
- 3rd: Nora Douglas, age 12, Alice Deal Middle School
- Honorable Mention: Matthew Smee, age 12, Oyster-Adams Bilingual
- Honorable Mention, Cinquain Poems (All from Powell Elementary School)::
- Jaqueline Martinez Rivera, age 7
- Nelson Davis, age 7
- Shirley Velasquez, age 7
13 & Up
- 1st: Luis Rumbaut, age 17, Capital City Public Charter School
- 2nd: Josie Elvira Guevara-Torres, age 17, Bell Multicultural High School
- 3rd: Shannon Marshall, age 16, Bell Multicultural High School
- Honorable Mention:
- Kamaria Johnson, age 16, Suitland High School
- Tessa Thomas, age 16, Bell Multicultural High School
We'd like to thank all the poets for sharing their words with us -- and encourage everyone to join us in celebrating our winners.
Awards Ceremony - Co-sponsored by Busboys and Poets and Hosted by Regie Cabico, poet and spoken-word pioneer
Saturday March 19, 2011
Busboys & Poets
The Langston Room
2021 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009
Back to The World & Me.